"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ecclesiastes4:9~10





Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help lift him up."

One of the most common questions we received when people learned we were adopting was what was our bio son going to think. He had been the "Baby" of the family for 3 years and was (and is) truly doted on. People were further concerned when they realized one of the boys we were adopting was only 6 months younger than him.

In the "Adoption World" this is called Artifical Twinning. Some agencies and social workers are strongly opposed to this and others allow it. There are success stories and their are some children who really struggle with suddenly becoming a "twin".

This was something we prayed about and over often. We knew and had read of the difficulties that both children could have because of this. Often my prayer would be that our "twins" would have a relationship like David and Jonathan. It is hard to be a Christian in this world and I would love for my boys to have each other to sharpen each other and encourage each other.

I have to say God heard our prayers and answered mightily.

Right away they were fascinated with each other. The language barrier was only a minor inconvenience. The hardest thing was our adopted son did not know how to play. He had no imaginary play and did not even begin to know how to play with toys even when guided (this has since resolved and he has a wonderful imagination and knows exactly how to play).

My solution was to bring the ride on toys inside and let them ride all over the house together. Shocking for a neat-nik like me! But hey, to see my little guys laughing and driving circles around my kitchen was a blessing! Also in the evenings when my dh came home I would put them in our bike trailer and ride them around the neighborhood. They loved this and it was good bonding time for them.

During those early weeks we had MANY Dr.'s appointments which involved a myriad of needles... the cutest thing was after returning from one our adopted 3 yo ran into the house and gave his brother a huge hug. It was as if he was saying "You have NO idea what I just went through. I am so glad to see you buddy!"



It has been such a blessing to see their relationship evolve. It's not perfect theysurely have their bortherly momoents ;o) However, they truly love each other and their personalities mesh so well. One has the heart of a leader the other a heart of a servant. They are very much like the Bible describes David and Jonathan...

Thank you Jesus!









9 comments:

Dawn said...

Great to see two brothers enjoying each other. God matched them well!

Ruth said...

This is so awesome. You are so blessed!!

Anonymous said...

Wow--your blog is beautiful! There are 8 children in our family, including two boys ages four and one adopted from Ethiopia in 2005. It's so fun to read about your little ones.

Brianna Heldt said...

That is so neat Renee. It is so amazing to see how God works things out for us, huh???

OreoSouza said...

Those are some very sweet photos! We've "twinned" a couple little guys too.

We adopted a couple little guys from Liberia, so we have a colorful family as well. I have some links at my blog listing other families who have successfully adopted. I'm wondering if you would allow me to link to your blog?

You can email me at tsouza-at-centurytel.net. My blog is at www.homeschoolblogger.com/OreoSouza/ . Take a peek and see if it's someplace you wouldn't mind being linked to.

OreoSouza said...

Thank you for letting me link to your blog. I'm sure it will be a great encouragement to those considering adopting from Africa.

wendy said...

How wonderful! I loved their photos. You can see how much they love each other in them.

We adopted a girl who is only 5 months younger than our eldest daughter. They are the best of friends. It has been such a wonderful experience. We also have two 2 year olds that are 2 months apart...so far they have a love/hate relationship, which is always improving (they are boy/girl "twins"). We are in the process to adopt a girl from Haiti that is 4 months older than our girl "twin" and 6 months older than our boy "twin." When she comes home we will have virtual triplets.

I found your blog from Mary's. We also adopted from Ethiopia through AAI. We have six kids now, and as I mentioned are adopting from Haiti. We also homeschool...so we have a few things in common.

You can email me for the password to my blog, if you want:

raiinbowendy at yahoo dot com

wendy said...

That would be rainbowendy at yahoo dot com

The Barr Family said...

I just love this post! its great! and the photos are wonderful- and to see them develop this relationship is just awesome.