"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

James 1:27~

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. Jamees 1:27

Shortly after our boys came home I was speaking with a lady from our church who has two adopted boys. She was trying to wrap her mind around the fact that we adopted two boys after we already had five children. She struggled to understand and finally just said "You just must really love children." Yes we do! We love children and believe that each child whether born into a family through birth or through adoption is a BLESSING. So many people have commented on how "Lucky" our boys are but the truth is that we are the ones who are being blessed mightily.

How it all started...

I had just had our 4th baby and I was listening to Focus on the Family as I was making dinner. It was a woman sharing her testimony of how she adopted a little girl from China. God spoke to my heart so clearly that He was going to bless us with a child from another part of the world. I was crying and crying and my dh walked in the door. I blurted out "We need to adopt a baby from China!" and he turned around and said "Uh, yeah right!" (Probably not an unusual response for a man who came home to a crying wife with a newborn in her arms and 4 children under 5!)

I knew though that somehow some way God would make a way.....I never even really brought it up with dh again. Everytime we would see a little one of Asian descent I would say "Oh look honey!" and he knew my heart. But I never nagged or pressured.

We went on the have baby #5. When he was 8 months old my dh called me on the phone just as we were done hsing. I was having a hard time hearing him and finally realized he was crying...sobbing. Scared me to death. Finally he said," Honey I have to tell you about something that happened years ago." I said "No, please DON'T I don't care what it was I forgive you." He laughed and said, "No, silly it's nothing like that. You are going to WANT to hear this." He then proceeded to tell me that the night he came home and I told him we needed to adopt from China that the Holy Spirit spoke to his heart at that moment too but he didn't want to accept it. However, that morning he was at work and he met a blonde haried lady and a little girl from China and He said God got all over him and he knew we had to adopt. He told me to immediately start looking into adopting 2 children!!

Here is what our family looked like as we started this amazing journey!!




I'll share more later on how God led us to Ethiopia..

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing.I always find it interesting how God has worked to point all us adopting families toward His heart and adoption. ;-) Can't wait for the next part of this story....

Dawn

Shana said...

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Funny, our story started out very similar...me in the kitchen, crying, then greeting my husband as he came home with "we're adopting a baby girl from Ethiopia!".

Shana

Ruth said...

I love this story, who knows, maybe one day we will be adopting too.

Sandwich in Wi said...

Renee,

It's Sandwich in Wi from over at SL. I stumbled onto your blog via birthblessed's blog and I'm having a great time reading about your journey!

I have to tell you that I listened to this same Focus on the Family story, and while I wasn't struck in the same forceful way you were, it was definitely something I HOPED we would do.

And now we are paperchasing for our second little Indian boy!

God bless!
Sandwich