"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Thursday, January 18, 2007

John 21: 15-17~

So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Feed My lambs.”
16 He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Tend My sheep.”
17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?”
And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep

How is it that it is already THURSDAY? This week has evaporated. I would love to share that I have been doing awesome feats for God, but the truth is that I have spent most of my time feeding my children. Little Sweet Pea must be going through some sort of growth spurt because she is eating constantly day and night. This coupled with Wee Babe's feeding issues (He takes 45 mins to an hour to eat due to his prematurity and swallowing issues) has me spending a lot of time feeding. Oh, and those other 7 little ones wnat to eat too. Picky, picky ;o).

I am really not complaining. I love this little ones and I love caring for them. Monday was just one of THOSE days. I was trying my best to stay on schedule and all I was doing was feeding tummies and I needed to be teaching fractions and doing laundry and a hundred other things. The Holy Spirit kept bringing this verse to my mind….."do you love Me more than these?”
He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
He said to him, “Feed My lambs.”

Being the rebellious stubborn person I am I argued with the message the Holy Spirit was trying to give me. I thought, "But Lord Simon Peter was doing important work. He was SPIRITUALLY feeding and discipling people. Me? I am just feeding tummies." All day long I struggled with this and thought I should be imparting the Word in my children and teaching them Hymns, yet it was all I could do to get Wee Babe to open his mouth or Sweet Pea to burp. In the middle of the night during Sweet Pea's feeding Jesus gently brought to mind all of the times He met people's physical needs before their Spiritual needs. He fed the 5,000 and he healed. He realized that we are both body and soul and by meeting physical needs it many times allows us to meet Spiritual needs. Just in the passage above he talks to Simon Peter AFTER breakfast? He knew he couldn't hear Him without his physical needs first being met. How good is our God?

Here is something from Laine's Letters
that I have saved and God has used it to encourage me through the years. I hope it blesses someone else the way it has me.

Mary was studying her Bible quietly at her desk. A still, small voice began to speak to her.

"Mary?"

"Yes, LORD?" Mary had been walking with the LORD and recognized His still, small voice. Especially in His Word.

"Mary, what if I was to ask you to go to work for Me."

"Oh, yes, LORD." Mary answered anxiously. "To France, perhaps?" As she gazed at the globe on her desk, pointing a finger decidedly on Paris.

"Mary, what if I was to ask you to go to work for Me in an obscure place."

"Ah, yes, LORD." Mary sat dreaming while moving her finger down a bit. "Africa. The jungle..." Her mind wandered to the missionary stories she had read, "perhaps where Elizabeth Elliot worked."

"Mary, what if I was to ask you to work for Me in an even more obscure place."

"Hmmmm...even more obscure. South America, LORD? Or innermost China? Or perhaps Indonesia? Is that what you mean LORD?"

"Mary, what if I was to ask you to work for Me in a home."

"Ah, now I understand, LORD. A home for handicapped kids."

"Mary, what if I was to ask you to work for Me in an obscure home."

"An obscure home? Perhaps a home for orphaned children in Mexico or South America?"

"Mary, what if I was to ask you to work for Me in your own obscure home?"

"Here, LORD? Here?! All I do here is scrub, vacuum, wipe noses, wash clothes, sing lullabies, pray with toddlers, change diapers, cook meal after meal, sweep and dust, stretch one income, mop and mop; oh, and then over and over the very same thing again. Sometimes more in one day that I can count. This can't be the obscure home You mean, LORD!"

"Yes, Mary. This is the home. Will you do it for Me? For when you do it for the least of these, you do it for Me. Will you do it for Me, Mary?"

Big sigh. "No one is going to notice it, LORD. Not even the ones I am doing it for. None of them really even care, LORD. Everything I do, they undo. And then I have to do it all over again. Don't you think Paris is kind of obscure?"

Big Smile. "Mary, I have chosen you especially for this work in this specific place. I have Leaders and Warriors being raised here. I have wives of Leaders and Warriors being raised here. Will you wipe these noses for Me, Mary? Will you bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the LORD, Mary? Some day I may send them out to places like China, Indonesia, South America, Mexico, and yes, perhaps even Paris. Will you do this for me, Mary, in this obscure home of yours?

Spinning the globe gently, Mary bowed her head, "Yes, I will, LORD. Yes, I will."

"I'll do it through you, Mary. Keep coming to me for your strength. It is a very big job raising My Warriors and My Wives of Warriors; but I will walk you through it every step of the way."

Mary thought of her namesake, the mother of Jesus, raising her LORD and Savior in her own obscure home. "You are too awesome for me, LORD. You are too awesome for me." Mary said, as she bent to kiss The Word.

8 comments:

Robin's Reports said...

(((Renee))) Feeding people, ahhh, that is such an important ministry, especially when they're little. You are such a faithful servant.

I feel like I've had whispers of temptation this week too. Why do I always feel like I could do MORE school work than what I'm doing?

Anonymous said...

Renee, here I sit, at my wits end (well, not quite, but close), at 12:08 am with a fussy, fussy Teeny who has yet to sleep. Not that he has ever slept since we brought him home! My head hurts, I'm recovering from the stomach flu 2 days ago, my daughter flooded the toilet with TP before bed so I got to clean a whole bathroom and mop all the floors as a bonus to the evening. So thank you. I needed to sit down and regroup with something meaningful. Thanks for lifting me back up. MP

txmommy said...

this brought a tear of gratitude to my eye. THank you for the reminder about the importance of a mother's work.

Anonymous said...

Renee, thank you so much for sharing this. It's so true, and these verses just bring me such peace and hope. Like I can't wait for tomorrow to begin, so I can start my work all over again. Thanks. dana/abckidsmom

marian said...

Thanks, Renee.

Brianna Heldt said...

Renee what a great reminder. Thanks so much for posting this--I am often so tempted to feel discouraged that I am not able to do "important" things because I'm meeting this or that need for the kids. But you're right--great post!

darci said...

Renee, that was so good to read. I know that I have had to pray for a sense of contentment and fulfillment in my job as mommy and homeschooler..that THIS is God's calling on my life. Somedays seem so tedious, don't they? Yay for your little guy learning to ride without training wheels.. what an accomplishment. :)

c.l.beyer said...

Thanks for that dose of encouragement; I needed it.

(Now, it's time to go pick up my awakening newborn... and in so doing, be a part of God's great work!)