"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Monday, May 07, 2007

Africa~

One year ago we returned home from our trip to Ethiopia. We had gone with one purpose in mind, to get our Wee Babe. We came home with so much more. We fell in love with Ethiopia and the wonderful people there.

This quote from Alexander McCall Smith sums it up well in his book "Tears of the Giraffe"...

We had found a country where the people treated one another well,with respect, and where there are values other than the grab, grab, grab which prevails back home. I felt humbled, in a way. Everything in my own country seemed shoddy and superficial when held up against what I saw in Africa. People suffered here, and many of them had very little, but they had this wonderful feeling for others.



7 comments:

Robin's Reports said...

I think this is why I am so drawn to Africa. They really love each other and children. I feel so starved in this land of plenty.

MP2 said...

Wow, I can't believe its been a year already - it seems like we were following along on your journey just yesterday. Congratulations to Wee Babe, he looks like he is doing so well. (And congrats to your whole beautiful family, too, of course!)

Anonymous said...

I remember him from the Hilton. He was so nice. I agree with everything you said about Ethiopia.

Jen
(Pookeber)

Sophie said...

That Africa heart is such a gift, but such a burden, too! I've gone 3 times, and can't wait to go again! ironic, isn't it, how we can be so "starved in this land of plenty"....

Scarlett_333 said...

How exciting- one year! My name is Nikki and I am a grade 12 student from Ontario and I eventually want adopt from Ethiopia when I am older, but right now I am learning about it and writing a story set there (in my blog). I would love to hear about your experiences in Ethiopia if you don't mind posting to my blog.
Thanks so much
-Nikki

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via "Et tu, Jen?". After reading just a bit, I became especially interested in learning more about Ethiopian (and African, in general) adoptions. My husband and I have two boys from Guatemala and LOVED the experienced of adopting them. We want to adopt again, but it's looking like Guatemala might not be an option. So I am searching out other alternatives, and any info/links you have to agencies and the like would be great.

My apologies that this is in your comments section. I didn't see any other way to contact you.

All the best to you and yours!
- Bridget

Raskell Party of 8 said...

Like Jen I loved Yosef from the Hilton. I loved how he said our daughter's name BeEmnet. So beautiful. I love this blog! Blessings, Sandra