"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Monday, July 09, 2007

Proverbs 16:9~







The mind of man plans his way,
But the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9


Why Ghana???


During my time in Ethiopia, I found myself at each orphanage spending time with the boys in the 5-8 year old age range. There were so many boys this age, and each one was just precious.

This past April God made it clear it was once again time to start the adoption process. After praying together and separately we knew we were being led to adopt 2 children between the ages of 5 and 8.

We applied to AAI, and the Ethiopia program. As they were processing our paperwork they informed my dh that their were troubles brewing for large families adopting from Ethiopia. Merrily Ripley (The Director of AAI) was out of the country, but we were told she would call us and speak with us about the Ethiopian situation. She called my dh , and gave us the very hard news that we were not going to be able to adopt from Ethiopia. She told my dh she had just come home the day before from Ghana. AAI was opening up a brand new program, and we were they kind of family they were looking for. We had adopted before, and we had adopted through them. They wanted experienced adoptive parents for this pioneer journey.

Dh shared our hearts with her, and she told us they had just taken in 2 boys who sounded like the perfect fit for our family. These boys were E and J. Of course, dh told her he would speak with me, and that we would pray about this.

I was so incredibly disappointed not to be adopting from Ethiopia again. I love Ethiopia so much, and it was just heartbreaking thinking of the great need there.

Dh wisely told me that God was showing us a need, and we prayed. After a LOONG talk with Anita (The Program Director), and more talks w/ Merrily, another long conversation with my wonderful friend Beckie (the pro of older children adoptions), and many, many prayers, we knew that this was God's plan for us and for E and J.

When you look up "Pioneer" in the dictionary you will not see a picture of Jim or myself. We are PLANNERS. We are careful. We like to know what is lying up ahead. God calls us to look beyond ourselves though, and He likes to keep us on our toes and on our knees.

So, we are returning to West Africa as God once again graciously expands our family. I say returning as we began our adoption journey in West Africa. We had three failed adoptions due to gross corruption. It was a painful 2 1/2 year process, but the Lord carried us through. How good He is to bring us healing and completion through our newest adoptions.

So, many people have asked what next? Or if we have a timeline... No, we don't. I guess the thing about being a pioneer is that it's all brand new. We have completed our Dossier, and are working on our welcome bags. As far as what comes next or how?? We don't know, but we are resting in Jesus who knows all.

In between He'll be growing me in patience and trust. I'll try not to nag him or Anita..at least not too much.
















3 comments:

PastorMac's Ann said...

Renee, I'm so sorry that Ethiopia is closed to your wonderful family now. But I am so encouraged to hear how God's hand has guided you to these two precious boys. Godspeed getting them home. Thanks for the update!

Christine said...

You are soooo blessed. The boya are gorgeous. We will pray them quickly home. My daughter is a tad bit jealous as she sits amongs our "small" family of 7.

solas4me said...

Always a blessing to see someone glorifying God in thinking rightly. I appreciate your starting off the blog with Proverbs 16:9. This has become an important scripture in our own adoption journey. You can view our blog at www.solas4me.blogspot.com

Thanks for being salt and light.
In Christ,
Justin (solas4me)