"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Galatians 6:2~



Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

The past two days the two littlest boys have been fighting fevers, coughs, and colds. They have needed extra loving and snuggles which in turn can make our school day run longer. It reminded me to go back and read one of my favorite homeschooling articles by Diane Hopkins of Love to Learn.

I hope it will encourage others ...

The Baby IS The Lesson



One morning on my daily walk, I was fretting and stewing over what I could possibly do with my one-year-old during school time. I was feeling some despair with a new baby on its way. I couldn't see any end to the disruption of babies in my home school for many years to come. I was praying and scheming at the same time: I could wait until the baby's nap to teach school, I could rotate the children with baby-sitting chore away from our schoolroom, I could get a playpen, etc.: all solutions that didn't feel right--babies needs their moms!

As I walked and pondered, suddenly the Lord introduced one sentence to my mind and revolutionized my mindset entirely! "The baby IS the lesson!" I thought I was trying to teach Math, but in reality I had been teaching, day by day, how an adult values the precious gift of children. My children, by watching how I deal with the frustration of a crying baby or keep a toddler happy and busy with some of his "own" pieces while we play a math game, are soaking up "the lesson". Unfortunately, I had occasionally been teaching that the baby interrupts our learning. MORE

7 comments:

marianh@fullservicenetwork.net said...

Thanks for sharing that.What an excellent and convivting reminder.

Barbara in Ireland said...

Thanks, I needed that!

Susanna said...

Thanks for the beautiful post! just wanted to say hi - i'm browsing adoption blogs as my husband and I are in the beginning stages of adoption...I love how you write about how much you enjoy your children - it's so encouraging! Stop by my site any time! God bless!

Jim & Laurel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurel said...

Enjoy the baby years. After 23 years of having preschoolers in the home, our youngest of 10 is entering Kindergarten. I homeschool, and 8 of the 10 still live at home, but we are certainly entering another phase of parenting. I wouldn't trade those baby years for anything!

Leah-Joy Smith said...

Hey Aunt Renee,
Thanks for always keeping us posted!!! We miss you all sooo much!!! Hope I can come see you some time!! Love, Leah-Joy.

Kimberly said...

Thanks Renee! This blessed me as we started our first day of school today and ....well, it was different...2 year old is definitely more ..... involved.. in EVERYTHING! :-) Thanks for the reminder!