"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Galatians 3:28~


There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.Galatians 3:28~

The other night our 4 yo ds and I were snuggling and talking in his bed..

Suddenly he grabbed my face looked deeply into my eyes and said, "MAMA! Your eyes are black like mine!" He then snuggled happily into my arms and pronounced, "We are twins!"

I was so blessed by his simple childlike expression. My black pupils and his black pupils make us exactly the same. I love how he delights in our sameness.

I treasure this time of innocence in our boys' lives. They are loved and they love in return. The thought of one's skin color...is not even a thought in their little minds.

We have been so blessed by the acceptance of our family in our community. We have had no negative remarks regarding our boys..we have had no ugly altercations...our boys are embraced and loved.

I have been told by others who have adopted young black children that we are in the "golden years". Troubles may begin to arise when they are no longer little boys, but black male teenagers..suddenly they can go from cute to "scary" in the eyes of some.

The truth is someday it is very likely that they will experience racism in their lives and as a Mama that makes my heart ache. Jim and I have spoken several times on the need of preparing them for this, and how we can do our best to raise strong and godly men who will be able to stand through the trials they will eventually face. We know that God will be with them and we know He will give us the wisdom to guide and protect them..

It is so easy though to push the possibility of troubles into the back of my mind and just enjoy these wonderful days of innocence until I read stories like this

and then I know the battle is real and it is out there. I am praying for the City of Jena. I pray that God will bring peace and open hearts and minds. I pray the community will look into each others eyes..see those dark black pupils and... remember..... they really are all the same..

4 comments:

Robin's Reports said...

I love the photograph you chose to illustrate your beautiful matching of love. Twins of the soul, matched by God.

I feel sad about Jena. The story caught my eye today because that is where my Jackson is from.

Leah-Joy said...

Hello,
Thanks for sharing that!! While I study about the French Revolution it makes me very sad to learn that being equel was the farthest thing from some of thier minds!!
I love ya'll and can't wait till thanksgiving!!
Leah-Joy.

leah-joy said...

I forgot to tell you, come visit Mama's blog! It thrills here to death when people leave comments!

Deborah said...

Dear Renee,
I love the picture! How awesome. With your mercy and Jim's strength, under God's hand, your sons, ALL of them, will follow hard after Him.
We LOVE you,
Debbie