"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Matthew 11:30~

I'm trying to fix dinner...

AND...
The phone keeps ringing..
A child threw pine needles at a sibling..
Math papers need to be graded..
A laundry basket with clothes needs to be put away..it sits on the table..mocking me every time I pass by..
A ball is stuck on the roof..
I really shouldn't have eaten that piece of pumpkin bread...
Oh no, is the baby chewing on something??

My mind is a swirl of details...It feels HEAVY..

I go to the glass doors to check on the children outside..and I notice the doors.......... which were cleaned earlier..... now have dozens of fingerprints upon them..

I sigh..and then the Lord gently rebukes me and reminds me what is really important...

When our first child was about 12 months old we went to visit my Grandma.. My Mommom.

We enjoyed our day at my Mommom's apartment. She fed us Lorna Doones, and cuddled her great grand baby. Our son had a fine time looking at himself in the full length mirror on the back of her door. Oh, how he loved to see himself, and his little hands left their mark all over the bottom of the mirror.

I spoke with my Mommom ,by phone, not long after that, and she told me how every day she would love to sit and look at the little hand prints he had made. She told me how her friends kept telling her she needed to clean the mirror, but she refused because when she looked at them it made her happy.

Six months later when we went to her apartment.... after her funeral...there on the mirror.. were my little boy's hand prints.

Jesus spoke to my heart and reminded me that I need to focus on the blessing of the hand prints.

In Matthew 11:30 Jesus tells us,
"For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I have found when my burden feels heavy it is because I am trying to carry a load that is not from Jesus.

Having a perfect house, being the perfect home school Mom, the perfect number on the scale..are not burdens from Jesus...those are from the world. Those are not eternal investments..

My children, on the other hand, are eternal investments.

I am so thankful that Jesus is so patient with me, and that He reminds me daily..sometimes moment by moment..the incredible blessing of shepherding these little ones in His name. I am so thankful that He walks this journey with me, and supplies me with everything I need.

There is joy, and beauty, and an abundance of blessing in every day.. May the Lord give me the eyes to really see each moment as He does.


Here are just a few of the blessings of the past week..

Brother and Sister making pumpkin bread..

Joyfully cleaning together..
Sisterly love..
Friday Night; Pizza Night..Cooking with my kiddies
The joy of a full table...
A snuggly 5 yo in our bed..
A card game with my Blink partner..
Waking up at 1:00 a.m. to watch the Leonid Meteor Shower, and marveling at how AWESOME our creator is.

21 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks for those lovely words, Renee! I can remember as a child going over to my MaLily's house (great grandmother) and playing in her full length mirror; she always gave us a piece of butterscotch candy. Sweet memories....

And today as I have been working on my cleaning list, I think I'll look at those precious little finger prints a bit different this morning. Thanks for letting the Lord guide your words and helping me to start my day off with a better perspective. God is so good.

Sharon

mom2rebels said...

Thanks for this Renee. I really needed to read this today. We have a huge crowd coming Thursday, the to do list is long and it's looking like it's going to be one of "those" days around here. I was sitting here frustrated and near tears. Decided to read your blog and now I am in tears. Not in frustration though. Now it's in repentance for my attitude and the reminder that it's not about the to do list. Thanks my friend!

and as always, GREAT pictures;-)

Anonymous said...

beautiful - thank you

ronda - tucson, az

Dawn said...

I love the story about the fingerprints on the mirror. This was a very inspiring post.

solas4me said...

Thanks for the reminder of our utter dependence on God for all things.

-Justin
solas4me
"A Darling Life"
solas4me.blogspot.com

Grateful for Grace said...

Renee,
As usual, the LORD whispered to me as I read your encouraging note. Thank you for such a timely post... with my ds's bday party today, guests coming for Thanksgiving, I can get focused on the 'chaff' instead of the 'wheat'.
You made me cry, in a good way.

I hope you have a super week!
GfG

Robin's Reports said...

((((Renee))))) We're all feeling the fingerprint yokes instead of letting Jesus carry the load. I too wrote about fingerprints last night on my Raising Fishermen blog. Weird, huh?

Last night, the preacher talked about Martha vs Mary. It all sounds so good until I get home to holiday boxes scattered in my LR. My tree fell over before church.

I need to be still and feel God.
LOVE YOU!!
R

Noel said...

Thank you!
love and miss you,
noel

Bingaling said...

Renee,
I love seeing pictures of your family...I can't wait for the day when Joel and Eban are right there in the middle of the rest of the bunch!
Hugs,
Chanda

Jenny said...

The sad thing about our children's hand prints is that they go higher and higher on the wall...then they disappear. It's bitter-sweet to remember my own kids finger prints. Now I pray for the impact they will make on the world. Love ya!! 48 hours and counting!
Jenny

Ginger said...

You have me in tears...what a great reminder for us all.

Pam said...

This was just what I needed today. Thank you Renee.

Have a truly BLESSED Thanksgiving (as I know you will)!

Pam (Giggly C)

Joy said...

Thank you. I needed that rebuke. How I long to treasure the little things more since our life is just a vapor. May God be glorified with the way you have encouraged so many of us moms with these words.

Anonymous said...

Renee, my grandma did the same thing when we visited her when I was a child. She said long after we left, she would stare at the finger and handprints left by me and my brother. She is still alive and tells the story of how seeing the handprints reminded her of ourfun visit and made the parting easier.

I remember that whenever I see all of the handprints on our fridge, windows, van windows, etc. The little hands are so very blessed and special. Those little hands bless others and will leave a mark of God's presence on the world.

Great pictures.

Kathy

Solomon & Malachi said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so glad that I stopped by your place today - I really needed your post. Thank you for listening to the Lord and taking the time to encourage others who are having a similar day. I think I'll just let those fingerprints on my sliding door be.
Maybe I'll go outside and play with my boys a little while...

The Hausams said...

Like others have said, I needed this today. Life goes by SO fast, and the precious times with our little ones are fleeting. No more grumbling for me today! Blessings, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Queen said...

Great post, Renee - I needed to hear it as well! It sounds like your mommom was a wonderful lady!

Jazzy

Sophie said...

I miss you, renee! I hope that all is well in your world!

Grateful for Grace said...

Renee,
You are missed. Hope all is well.

Mr. & Mrs. L said...

I just found your blog.

We have just (within the last month) brought our sons home from Poland. Yeah - they're home! But - a month later I still haven't figured out how to get back into the swing of grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, cooking, etc. with these new higher maitenance blessings. On top of that some of us are sick, and one of my daughters is experiencing stress-related symptoms.

Thank you for your post. While I am not wishing anyone to feel overloaded and overwhelmed with 52,000 things on her mind, it has blessed me to read your post, see that others have gone before, and that He's got lighter burdens in mind for us.

Thank you for the reminder.

Brenda said...

Oh, I will have to remember the fingerprint story. It's so true...those things that weigh us down are NOT from Jesus.

Oh, I need to learn this. I need to look at my children as the blessings and eternal investments that they are ALL THE TIME.