"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Friday, December 28, 2007

Jim in Ghana (Day 2)


Day 2 Embassy Day
The American Embassy is a very large facility.

The ride over was filled with lots of traffic even though we left at 6:30 am. We dodged lots of people and cars. The concept of merging traffic is a constant theme. Have you ever wondered why the buses and trucks in America have their exhaust pipes directed upward? Let me tell you; it is so you do not get carbon monoxide poisoning inside the car when you drive behind the bus. Emissions testing was done away with likely before emissions testing was invented, so traffic jams have the added benefit of fumes
.

On top of that, you don’t want to keep your windows rolled down, so you can get a little warmer that way in order to help you adjust to the climate. I am not worried about the lack of air conditioning in the guest house since 80% or more of the time you are without it anyway


. Now back to the Embassy. We got past the security checkpoint, and being an American had the privilege of putting us ahead of the others in line. When we got to the immigration part of the building around 7 am, there were already about 50 people ahead of us. There are about 150 chairs lined up in two long rows inside the building. After another hour of waiting, there were another 50 or more people added to the mix. On a serious note, this whole process was quite sad. Percy, the one who took us (there is another Percy who is the driver, back to him in a moment) told us that most all of the people of Ghana who apply for a visa…. never get one. Again, very humbling that we can take for granted our citizenship, but so few who legally try to enter are successful. After another hour or so, Zack and I were called to turn in our paperwork, just to be told to come back at 2 pm.


Oh well, we tried. The reason I mentioned the other driver Percy is that the whole time we were in there, he waited for us in the car. He had no idea when we would come out. He seemed to not be effected by his long hours of boredom, but I think he made up for the lack of excitement on his part by driving around the city again dodging busses, cars, trucks, and people.


So, we got back to the guest house so we could hook up to the internet. Funny thing; for all of those who have traveled before this won’t be a surprise. When I hear internet café, I am thinking Starbucks, or some fancy bistro with modern furniture and paintings and fancy mugs so sip your latte from. Internet café really translates into a 10 by 10 room with Reggae music blasting into the street, wall to wall computers, and wall to wall people.

The guy in charge hooked me up, and although the internet speed was slower than dial-up, he got me online.


So, back again to the Embassy at 2 pm. We finally got into the interview room at the same area of the Embassy. We met a couple who are adopting a boy several hours north of Accra privately and they went in before us. They were told to wait about 3-6 months to have their I-600 processed. I laughed because I know that they have to tell people this. Anyway, I turned in my info. and was told to call in the next day to see how long it will take to process the paperwork. This is the one answer that I do not have as of Thursday evening. So the next update will contain the expected waiting time.


All of this has been and will continue to be in the hands of the Lord. There is no way to figure any of this out. No matter what the outcome, I will be content. I know that all of these kids will eventually come home to their permanent family, it is just going to be a matter of when.


I finished the day with another visit to the orphanage. I realized that due to the lack of total attention by the kids not being in an immediate family that they are very sensitive to touch. Not just that they like to be touched, but they are SO easy to tickle. When you touch them to tickle them, they all just about double over with laughter. It makes it quite fun. They all like to laugh. Even the babies Mary and Martha are the funniest little kids.


Each time I see a new worker coming in to care for the kids and they all seem very nice and caring. Since I cannot get the pictures to download into my computer, everyone will have to wait until I get back. If you see any kids who are not normally seen at the orphanage, it is because the kids along the walk to orphanage want their pictures taken too. Even older girls want their picture taken. It’s funny that we also take this kind of stuff for granted but they are fascinated with the fact that they are on a picture screen.


That is about it for tonight. The neighbors like to talk loudly outside my window and they are speaking in another language. It makes the sleep interesting. For Ghana, this guest house is considered a pretty decent place. I am just spoiled so it is a little different for me, but the best way I can describe it is like camping….indoors. There is a little teaser button that says “water heater.” It even has a glowing orange light that looks like it could really heat the water good, but I think it is for visual effect since the water on the hot side didn’t seem to produce anything warm.


Oh well. There is not much else to report about the kids today since the focus was on the Embassy, but I will try to get more info. about each kid over the next few days. My body cannot tell if it is day or night, but I am just sleeping whenever I get tired and hopefully it will all work out in the end. Next update coming soon

4 comments:

Marigrace said...

It is so great to hear from Jim. thank you so much for letting us know what is going on. We are all praying for you all. Love, Marigrace*

Noel said...

Thank you for the update on Jim's journey. We are all praying for the next trip to the embassy. We love you all, and are praying for you.
love,
noel

Anonymous said...

It's great knowing what is going on with Jim! We will continue to pray for all of you.
God Bless!
Leah-Joy.

African Woman said...

Lurrenzinc is the fastest growing African social network with thousands of beautiful African women, African girls, and African men.