"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Monday, March 24, 2008

1Peter 2:9~

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; 1Peter 2:9~

We have been in our new neighborhood for a few months now, and the neighbors still aren't sure what to make of us.

We moved into our previous neighborhood when we had two children. Our neighbors got to know us as we grew. We had many wonderful dear neighbors who became dear friends.

With our new neighbors it's a little different...a family of 13 has suddenly descended upon this quiet cul de sac. I don't blame them for being wary one bit! Can you even imagine? I can't!

We try and be good neighbors. We are friendly. We smile and wave. We supervise our children as they play...

However, we are still working to prove we are normal..

I am sure get ups like these don't help the cause...



I think we may have lost the opportunity to forever convince them that we are just a regular ole family with this single event....

One night around 8:00 as we were about to commence watching our favorite Gomer Pyle DVD's (This is normal, right ;o) we heard a large knock on the door.. We opened the door to find this outside our door..
We were baffled ..Until the doors opened and we saw our good friends . The Dad of this family owns a truck lot and a bus had come up at auction. It was a great deal and as a Homeschool Dad he just couldn't pass it up. They came by to surprise us and give us a ride...

So, we hopped on board and he drove around the neighborhood letting the kids off and on and picking them up at different corners. You have never seen homeschooled kids have more fun by having the chance to ride a school bus. It was so funny. I really don't think they could have had more fun at Disney World than they did this night.
I am not sure I want to know what the neighbors were thinking though...

Well, as my Aunt Mickey always says "Normal is a setting on your washing machine."

Seriously, I love this Scripture. I pray that we will "shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light" to our neighbors and all we encounter.

For He is so very worthy to be praised!!!

20 comments:

mom2rebels said...

Oh FUN!!! That first picture reminds me so much of my Rocklin...they'd be fast friends I'm sure. Your neighbors might think you are weird, but I'm sure they also see you are so blessed!

Carissa said...

hey great post! i totally understand about not being "normal"...whatever that is. i like what your Aunt said about normal..i'm gonna have to use that sometime!

well...blessings to you and your "peculiar", but amazing, family! :)

Carissa

Deborah said...

Well....about what the neighbors are thinking...I always say if they're talking about us, they're giving the preacher a week off.

I sure wish WE could have been on the bus, too!!

Your blog means a great deal to me. Thank you for sharing moments and treasures of your heart.

Sharon said...

How fabulous to have a neighborhood bus ride! My kiddos were thrilled to ride one at the zoo.

I'm sure that you are a blessing to your neighborhood! Shame we aren't neighbors! My son would love all your boys!

Jenny said...

Wait till they see you pack for your Thanksgiving trip to Georgia! We might have to add another verse to our country song..."the neighbors called the law"...
Maybe your friend could let you drive the school bus on your next trip to see the cousins! You know, some southerners are famous for converting school buses into motor homes~yet another verse!

Grace* said...

That looks like so much fun! I rember the time I got to ride on a school bus. Was it a douge?
Love you all :0)

Robin's Reports said...

How hilarious!!! You know, people think we Baptists are quiet, straight-laced folks but that really isn't true. Many of us have a keen sense of humor and our peculiarities make us fun and spontaneous. Joy not only comes from Jesus but because we don't carry burdens like other folks.

I love your peculiarity and LOVE your peculiar family. My kids are jealous that they didn't get to ride a school bus (not going to school).

It is so good to see the B family.

Anonymous said...

Renee,

I got such a kick out of this post! I also got a kick out of your friend who had the idea of driving up to your house and giving you-all a ride! Only the father of a big clan would get really excited about owning a school bus and being able to drive it and open that cool door a lot of times!

You seem to be very secure in who you are as a family! Just remember to show for joy to your neighbors...they may shake their heads but they will be transformed by what they see in you!

Jill in Wa with my clan of ten

Foxy5 said...

My 5 year old is loving everything about being homeschooled... except that he can't ride the bus. He would love for it to drive him around the block every morning just to start his school day off right. :)

Rachel Marie said...

Too funny! I actually wonder what our neighbors think of us and we only have 4! (5th on the way) That isn't "normal either." I think they shake there heads and go, "how many kids are they going to pack into that place?" and "do they ever actually go anywhere?" If they only knew! You have so much joy and your children love eachother and have FUN- your neighbors are sure to see Christ in you.

Noel said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! I know that you are a great example to your neighbors and to all those who are around you. We always joke that no matter where we go we will never be normal; but we always have fun. :) Wish we could have met you at one of your stops!
Love and miss you all,
Noel

Grateful for Grace said...

Oh, Renee! My kids would be soooo jealous!! This is the *one* thing I hear about what they wish... "I want to ride a school bus". 'Course they don't seem to grasp that IF I was forced to put them in ps, I certainly wouldn't put them on the bus. Anywoo.. how super fun!!! Truly. I tried to get a school bus 'rented' for my ds's 5th bday (he wanted a school themed party!), but insurance reasons, they wouldn't do it.

AND I know you are a wonderfully odd and fabulous Christlike example to your neighbors.

Love,
GfG

Janet said...

I HAD to laugh at this one. My kids have said before that they want to go to school....just so they can ride a bus! I assured them it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be! LOL!

OUr neighbours think we're weird already, so what's two more children? :-)

(We're leaving for Africa in TWO WEEKS!)

Joy said...

This is REALLY FUNNY!!!! And come to think of it, these pics are the first time I have EVER seen the inside of a school bus!!!! Today Me, Sissy and Rosebud were following Mama home and when I looked at our van amongst the other cars I couldn't help but burst out laughing!!! I am so glad that we aren't normal!!!

Ericka said...

Hi, total lurker here! But had to 'come out' and say what fun that sounded like!!! I'm chuckling at your post because if we had done that in our neighborhood, oh good heavens, the neighbors would have been shocked and the look on their faces - priceless.
Can I please borrow the 'normal' setting???? We are preparing to become a 'conspicuous" family and that is a GREAT saying.....

Kelly said...

Oh how I wish we were neighbors!!! How fun would that be!!!!!

Love,
kelly

Johanna said...

My kids would have LOVED a chance to ride the bus! How much fun. It put a smile on my face to see it- thanks for sharing!

Hope said...

Wow, this tops it all! And Jim calls us Rednecks. Love you all,
Hope:)

Pam said...

Oh, I loved this post! How fun!!! It brings me joy to know what a blessing you are/will be to your neighbors!

Love,
Pam

Joyce said...

Oh this is too funny!! :)