"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Friday, April 04, 2008

Isaiah 30:21~

And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left. Isaiah 30:21~

When my older brother was around 5 years old my parents enrolled him in swimming lessons. My brother was not enjoying the swimming lessons too much, and each day he would play the "What If?" game on the way to the pool. I can remember him asking my Mom as we drove "What if?" over and over again. "What if you forget me?" What if I sink? "What if ???" add any number of calamities which could enter the mind of a yo little boy.

In my brother's defense the couple who taught the lessons were not the most gentle of teachers. They fully believed in the "sink or swim" method of teaching.

My parents wisely kept bringing him and my brother did learn to swim. He learned so well he eventually ended up receiving a swimming scholarship to the University of Florida, and was a record holder.

One year ago today *I* was playing the "What if" game...with God.

It was one year ago today that Merrily told us about the Ghana Program, and it was one year ago today that we received this picture in our e-mail.


One of a set of brothers who were in need of a family.

I remember I took the children swimming that afternoon after receiving the e-mail. I remember watching the children laughing and playing, and as I watched I wondered..

What IF?

You see I felt the Lord saying in that still small voice that these were our sons. I felt Him calling us to Ghana, and to this adoption, but I was scared. I mentally reviewed every adoption horror story I had ever heard...and I asked "What if?"

"What if we adopt these children and ruin our family forever?"
"What if they hate us?"
"What if they try and run away?"
"What if??"

Today I am asking a different sort of "What if?"

"What if I had never met these precious children?"
"What if I had never heard Eben's amazing laugh?"
"What if I had never seen Joel's happy dance?"
"What if I had never experienced these two sweet boys spontaneously wrapping their arms around me and telling me that they love me?"
"What if I had never heard them sing as they helped me in the kitchen?"
"What if I didn't have these two as my sons?"

Honestly, I can't even imagine. They have blessed our family so much. It is a gift to have them as our sons. I am so grateful God led us on this journey, and brought us our sons.

God oftentimes will ask us to step out in faith. He asks us to "Get out of the boat and walk on the water with Him." If we look at our circumstances and the situation through our human eyes we will fear, and we will sink, but if we keep our eyes on Him..He will see us through, and bless us beyond our imaginations.






15 comments:

Noel said...

Thank you so much for the Aunt Renee!
Love you,
Noel

Ruth said...

beautiful.
God is amazing.

darci said...

thanks so much for sharing so honestly. this is beautiful. i want to share this with my husband. as we start our own adoption stuff, he is having his 'what ifs'..wanting to do this, knowing it is of GOd, and yet still, as you said "what if?" God bless you!! darci

patjrsmom said...

Getting ready to hop out of the boat and onto the waters rocky surface. Thank you for the words of encouragement and the reminder of God's faithfulness to His people!

God Bless,
Jane

Paula said...

Isn't it wonderful that God has no "what ifs?" He has plans for us & He knows our path! I LOVE this post!

Hope said...

How touching. Our Lord will indeed bless us with more then we could ever ask or even imagine!
Hope:)

Joy said...

Did you know that Hope has a happy dance too? they seem like the sweetest little guys and I CAN'T wait to meet them!!!!

Grace* said...

How sweet. :0) Love you all so much

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this post. I am (today) looking through the Africans Orpans and Widow project DVD's and prayfully deciding (with my husband) if God would have us add one or more of these needy children to our family of ten. Very scary! But, then, following God often is!

In Christ,

Jill

Momma Hen said...

Wow. Your words knocked my socks off on Saturday as I read them. We have added two little girls from China to our family in the past two years and have been considering doing something *crazy* - adding a son to the mix. We also have two biological children. My husband and I have been so encouraged and inspired by the stories you share on your blog. God has truly blessed you with all your beautiful children!
The Father is so gracious....
Tami

Kelly said...

These children I bet are just a bundle of joy! And you are so *real* , what a blessing you all must be to each other.

danellejoy said...

Renee,
Thank you so much. So often your blog blesses me. We've been through a rather rough week with our adoption and it's just so wonderful to hear again about God's faithfulness. I know it's all in His hands. May He bless you all!

the ewings said...

We miss out when we let the "what ifs" keep us from listening to God. Thanks for the reminder!! - Chris

Ericka said...

Your blog is such an inspiration to me. I feel peaceful every single time I read it. Thank you so much for sharing your faith and love of family - it truly. truly blesses all of us who read it,

Carrie said...

Thank you for your wise words. I know the fears you describe all too well. Hoping we find as much joy as you have. I love your blog and would like to put a link to you on mine. Would that be okay?
--Carrie at willinghearts.blogspot.com