"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Matthew 11: 28-30~




Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11: 28-30



Wow, 5 months ago today Eben and Joel came home.

I look back over the last 5 months and I am amazed and blessed at how brave and strong and wonderful our boys are. I often think if it were me who were placed half way around the world with people whom I didn't even know.. I would surely just curl up in a ball and cry for years.

Yet, these dear children have bravely faced a new culture, new parents, new siblings, new food, and new customs. They have not only adjusted but thrived, and that is a testimony to what amazing boys they are.

When they arrived Eben and Joel's relationship was very typical of siblings who have spent time in an orphanage. Eben is very much a caretaker. He had been Joel's caretaker for his whole life and he had done an awesome job.

We watched as Eben always made sure Joel had enough to eat, was happy, obedient and taken care of. If there was a special treat to eat or a new toy Eben made sure Joel had one too.... even if it meant giving him his.

Eben had no idea how much we loved him. He had no idea how much we loved Joel. He didn't realize that we were there to love and care for them, and their every need. He didn't know that we would be there in the night when they were scared or hold them when they were sick. He was in survival mode, and even though he could see our large pantry stocked with food, it didn't compute that it was his and Joel's. He was bearing the weight a responsibility that was no longer his to bear.

So many times in parenting my children I have found God teaching me truth about Himself. When we are adopted into God's family He loves us with an everlasting love (more perfect than Jim and I could ever achieve as earthly parents). He is there to meet our every need and has a whole storehouse (pantry) of blessings ready to bestow on us. He yearns to carry our burdens.. and yet often I am like Eben was with Joel. I think *I* have to do everything on my own. I worry..I fret..I don't rest in His storehouse of blessings.

I am happy to say that at some point Eben began to trust us and our love for him..and for Joel. He longer frets over him like a worried father, but like a brother. His step is lighter and there is a joy that should belong to a child.

I pray I can learn the lesson so well to trust all to my Heavenly Father for He is perfect and good and desires nothing more than to care for His children. He wants me to turn to Him with all my needs great and small. He delights in caring for His children and is truly the perfect Father. May I trust in Him each day.

Thank you Lord for these precious children, and for being so patient with me.








15 comments:

Paula said...

Amen!

Ruth said...

beautiful Renee...

Marian said...

What a perfect comparison. How wonderful that his "step is lighter!"

solas4me said...

Thank you so much for sharing. What a great adoption picture. Thanks for being diligent to give God the glory that he deserves.

Justin
solas4me
"A Darling Life"

Michelle Riggs said...

What a beautiful way for God to teach us how blessed and loved we are.

Becky said...

You have such a beautiful family and I love hearing this wonderful update!
Becky

Amalama said...

Renee,

That was a beautiful post. Bless you for sharing such a hopeful and loving testimony. :) I look to your family and feel encouraged...

Amy Fabu

Jenny said...

Thank you God, for the awe-inspiring testimony Jim and Renee live out loud everyday!
Thank you Renee for putting into words and sharing the truths He is teaching you. We love and miss you all!
Jenny

Bobbie said...

Hi Renee
What a beautiful post. It's been six months since we got our son. God is teaching me, this very same verse. I have not been resting in Him, and I have been so weary, my on fault. Your family is a real inspiration to me, especially when it didn't look like we would get our son. So many road blocks, until I read your story.
God bless you and your precious family.

Bobbie

Grateful for Grace said...

Such a wonderful post. A real testimony on several fronts: our patient and loving Heavenly Father; a patient and loving set of earthy parents; and a patient and loving son. I'm blessed to see the growth, emotionally and physically, in your family.
Praising Him with you!!

in Christ,
GfG

Robin's Reports said...

Renee & family,

I love you! I miss you! Thank you for sharing your verse at such a timely time for me.

I really need to rest in Him.

You're on my mind & in my prayers every day. Company comes Mon & Tues but maybe we can chat Wed.

Love,
Auntie R

danellejoy said...

I just love your precious family! Thank you for sharing and for the beautiful way you have scripture for alot of your posts!

Janet said...

What a FANTASTIC post! Loved it!!!!!

Deborah said...

This is my favorite all time post ever in the whole wide world of posting...the one you wrote about Mom-Mom and the finger prints is right behind, a close second.

I love you DEARLY,

Debbie

Carletta said...

Renee, that is such a great lesson for us all. What wonderful boys you have!

Thank you for sharing!