"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Galatians 6:9~

We had a bit of excitement here on the home front the other day.

As my friend and cousin were leaving our house they nearly stepped on a Cottonmouth Water Moccasin which had crawled up onto our front porch. It struck at my friend and praise the Lord missed. It was one mean, angry, and poisonous snake.

We were in quite a quandry as to what to do. We had one deadly snake right outside our door and a houseful of little ones who Praise God were not the ones who had come across it.

I called Jim hoping he was in our area but he was across town. He calmly told me to put our eldest son on the phone. Our eldest had already been asking me to let him kill the snake but the Mama in me was not too fond of this idea. Even though our son is now bigger and taller and stronger than me.. I often have a hard time letting go of the idea that he is still my little boy.

I watched as our son calmly listened to his Dad's instructions . He then retrieved his pellet gun and proceeded to deal with the snake. I marveled at his focus and his drive to take care of the task at hand.

As I watched him I was reminded of him as a little boy. Our son was (and is) what many would label as strong willed. When he was younger he was a ball full of energy. He knew his little mind and would frequently test boundaries I had set. I can so vividly remember a trip home from the library when he was 3 years old. I had to stop the car MULTIPLE times to refasten his seat belt which he was taking great delight in unbuckling over and over again. I wondered if I would ever get him to learn to mind me.

I frequently get questions from Moms of small children on how to handle their little balls of energy who will not mind. They are all sure their little strong willed child is the only one in existence. I often tell them what a handful our eldest son was in his early years and they look at me in shock and disbelief. They can not believe that our son who is now so calm , well mannered, and helpful wasn't always so.

Somewhere over the years I learned that being strong willed wasn't really a bad thing. After all my husband Jim is incredibly strong willed. It is what allows him to be such a great employee, husband, father, preacher. He has an incredible drive. What makes his drive a blessing is that his strong will is rooted in godly desires.

As parents of strong willed children do not lose heart. God can and will use their will for His glory if they are yielded to Him. Your little one may be wearing you out. Every day teaching them right from wrong may seem fruitless as you can see little progress being made.

Do not grow weary in well-doing. You will reap a harvest! Instill God's word in their hearts and pray the Holy Spirit will apply it to their hearts. Be consistent in teaching them right from wrong. Enjoy them and play with them and let them know how much you delight in them.

The process of parenting does not always yield immediate results. It is much like the farmer waiting for a harvest. We sometimes have to wait for another season to see all that is happening underneath the soil.

Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. Galatians 6:9~

13 comments:

Baby Blessings said...

What a great post! I can relate to the "strong willed" child. I have a two year old that is so much more determined than my first four were. Our pastor often tells us that he believes he is going to be a leader one day. I pray every day for the strength to mold his little life so that one day he will love and serve the Lord! Thank you for the encouragement to "keep at it"!

Marcy

Joy said...

He sounds like me when I was little! He and I have more in common then I thought. Please tell him that that was a pretty good shot, being able to kill a snake with a pellet gun!

God is so awesome and I think here very soon we are going to have another little ball of energy in our house!!!!

Laurel said...

GREAT post! I have a house full of strong-willed children, and several have already turned into amazing overseas missionaries, serving HIM with all of their energy and passion.

blessings,

Laurel
mama of 13

:)De said...

Excellent post! I believe that God has Big plans for our children with Big personalities and boy do I have a couple over here. LOL!

Peace,
:)De

Shonni said...

Thank you so much...for the last few weeks I have really been praying and seeking God...I was blessed reading this!

Kristin said...

I found your blog! I have spent the last hour before church reading about you beautiful family and your love for God. It is blogs like yours that encourage me as a mother and wife.

I have four children and will be homeschooling them for the first time starting next fall. I have a real peace about this and am so excited to see my kids flourish at home. Do you have any curriculum tips for me? I have a 13, 11,9, and 5 year old. I have been doing lots of research and see lots of great stuff, but it is overwehlming me.

Thanks again for sharing the story of your family through blogging. I too love the book "Stepping Heavenward" and chose to make it the name of my blog too.

Have a wonderful Sunday

Kristin

paige said...

i found your blog a while back and have been lurking for a while. I really love your positive attitude! I loved this post because I have a very strong-willed son. He was so busy and active that I used to think he would be the death of me. :o)

Now he is all grown up (19 yrs. old) and is leaving to do missionary work in Honduras. He is still very determined, but has a strong testimony of our Savior and wants others to know about Him too. That strong-willed nature, if directed in righteousness, can truly be a person's best assett. Thanks for sharing your wonderful blog!

Paige

Rene' said...

Hi "Mrs. Renee",
Oh don't we just love those strong willed children (boys especially!) Mines going to change the world....if he doesn't kill me first!!!! LOL John MacArthur was a strong willed child...there is hope for me!!! LOL
Love you...still have May 1st on the calendar.
Rene'from across town!

Becky said...

AHHHH....that makes my teeny tiny snake story NOTHING!!!! Your son is Awesome! And...once I've calmed down from the snake part of the story...I do agree with the strong willed part. I have one too and it will serve him well in life.
Becky

Heather A. said...

What a beautiful post! And praising God with you that the small ones weren't the ones to discover the snake!

Anonymous said...

You don't know how badly I needed to read this! I have been so discouraged lately. My little boy is almost four and some days I truly feel as though I am not making any headway with him at all. It scares me to death, this huge responsibilty of raising such a strong-willed child... Of course there are good days and bad days, but sometimes the bad days loom so darkly that the good days somehow can't shine through.

Anyway, thank you for the encouragement. It literally felt like water soothing my soul.

~Laura

Annette said...

Wow, what a blessing you are. Thanks for your encouragement. I am the mother of 4 girls and 7 boys, the last 6 being all boys and currently all 9 yrs of age and under. I do not feel any of them are particularly strong willed (as compared to my first born)...ok, well my 6 yr old son is a bit of a challenge....but when you put them all together, life seems insane at times. I think I'll be back for another visit very soon.
God Bless!
Annette

Garth and Becky said...

Our middle child is a boy and is very strong willed. Thank you for the encouragement to "keep on keeping on". It was definitely something I needed to read. Thanks for sharing it.