"We are all handmade people created by a God who is not safe or small." Rend Collective Experiment

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Mini Family Vacation~

I awoke on a Friday morning at 7:00 a.m. thinking it would be a normal day. We had school and errands planned. My first clue that all was not "normal" was the theme song from "Rocky" blaring through the house. This is Jim's song for me-romantic isn't it? He had told me he had a really busy day Friday. I assumed he meant work day and didn't know he had taken the day off. I made my way downstairs to find the family in the kitchen waiting for me. They were all dressed and told me I had 5 minutes to get ready to go. They wouldn't tell me where.




Here is where we ended up...one of my favorite beaches about an hour from here. So Lovely.





Umm.. except we had a little problem. The Griswald Family ain't got nothin' on us ;o)

After I took this picture Eben looked at me and said, "Next time, we bring a shovel." which just cracked me up.





We were a "little" stuck...








I told hubby to look on the bright side....




We could claim the teenager was driving ;o) Kidding.





Do you know how humbling it is for a Chevy Man to be pulled out by a Ford. Oh. My. The tow guy was getting such a thrill...not to mention our lunch money.



I told the kiddies these are the things family memories are made of. We laughed so hard through the whole thing..which is really all you can do..especially when everyone else on the beach is laughing at you.



One more push..



And we were FREE! Yippee! We headed to the hotel and Jim declared that that Beach Access was now dead to him.

16 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOL - you are so right. The kids will be talking about this 60 years from now and still be laughing.

Momto15 said...

The SAME THING happened to us in our big van. Too funny! Then while we were trying to get the van unstuck we lost two of the little boys and saw the lifeguards from halfway down the beach bringing them back to us. It was quite the day to remember. :)

Jen said...

How funny! What a great attitude... For me, your story reminded me of Ghana and how so many of my car rides did not end up quite as expected! All I could do at the time was look at the bright side and laugh when it was over!

Mama D.'s Dozen said...

Too funny!

Sounds like a WONDERFUL surprise! Way to go, Jim.

:) :) :)

Cari said...

LOL...that's hilarious! well at least for my reading enjoyment. :)

how sweet that you had a special/surprise day like that.

mary grace said...

LOL!

Kathy C. said...

Oops. I've never tried to drive on a beach. I'm sure I'd get stuck.

Kelly said...

That is funny and definitely something that will be remembered for a very long time!

Robin's Reports said...

I REALLY did laugh out loud when I got to the part where you were going to blame N for getting stuck in the sand. Poor teenager!

We've gotten stuck in sand too. (Jack more than me) That soft stuff is deadly and I know my limits.

Keep blogging!

Mama of 5 said...

We LOVE the beach! What a fun trip you had....and what good examples you are for laughing about the van being stuck! Good memories. Tell me...how many hotel rooms do you stay in?
Becky

Kimberly said...

Oh my goodness. That is too funny. I have been wanting to take the kids out there but am terrified of getting stuck. I think you just sealed the deal for me! Looks like a wonderful fun time though. And Jennifer's right. You're just makin memories!

Eve said...

Really funny, so cool that someone was snapping pictures of this.:D

Christine said...

Look on the bright side-- you will never forget this vacation! :)

darci said...

so fun!! you're right, THAT is what everyone will remember, with muchlaughter..what a wonderful surprise and treat to just get away for the day. :)
I KNOW you have answered this and i'm sorry..but please oh please where di you find sweetpea's swimsuit (on your header pic). Our girls are 10, 7 and 3 and it is SO" impossible to find anything modest..i love that one! :) havea great week. darci

Melissa said...

What a great surprise!!!! We've gotten stuck in the sand in our Ford van! LOL Love the pictures.

Debbie B said...

Way too funny... Loved the photo journal of the van in the sand.

BTW, my thought when I saw your photo was.... "WOW!!! This mom of 12 can look that good in 5 minutes notice."

Obviously, I must have needed more children.... (snicker)

Hugs,
Debbie